At Raleigh Divorce Law Firm, we are committed to investing the same time, talent, and energy that we devote to our clients towards bettering the communities we serve. Each attorney volunteers some of their time towards a pro bono legal program, such as assisting domestic violence victims through Legal Aid’s lawyer referral program, handling appeals for the Guardian ad Litem program, or serving as a Child’s Advocate representing the wishes of children in contested custody cases. We consider it a personal responsibility, and a privilege, to be able to assist in these causes.
In addition to the donation of professional time and talent, the firm also provides direct financial support for philanthropic causes. Since 2018, the largest philanthropic endeavor has been supporting the Friends of the Wake County Guardian ad Litem program. The Friends of Wake GAL program is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit established in 1991 with the mission of supporting the GAL program and program volunteers, mainly through establishing programs and providing funding to serve children in the child welfare system. An example of some of the initiatives Friends support are the Education Advocacy Project, which provides private tutoring services; a Chance to Smile, a program made possible through a community partnership with Bovenizer & Baker orthodontics that provides free orthodontic care; Computers for Kids, providing refurbished laptops and other computer equipment; Angel Tree, providing Christmas gifts to children in foster and kinship care; and Graduation Angels, providing gift baskets and household items to help youth aging out of the system have a successful start in the next phase of life.
Firm owner Heather Forshey has served as a Board Member for the nonprofit since 2019 and is currently serving as President. Raleigh Divorce Law Firm has supported the nonprofit directly by sponsoring several fundraising events, including the 2019 Light the Way Gala featuring NY Times best-selling author Ashley Rhodes Courter as key note speaker, a 2020 charity golf tournament at Brier Creek Country Club, and the 2021 Fiesta for Foster Care held at Prestonwood Country Club.
In addition to supporting the Friends, Raleigh Divorce Law Firm is also proud to sponsor a wide range of other community causes, including the following:
- North State Bank’s Summer Salute, benefitting Transitions LifeCare which enables people to receive hospice and palliative care
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, supporting cancer research, patient services, advocacy, education and community services
- Wake County Bar Awards, an annual initiative that raises money for Legal Aid of North Carolina’s Raleigh office
- North Carolina FC Youth, a nonprofit based in the Triangle area dedicated to providing high quality soccer opportunities at all levels for youth and their families
- Team Drea Foundation-Sola Hot Mini 5k, raising money to support the Duke ALS clinic
- Comfort Zone Camp, providing funding for camps to help children and young adults deal with the death of a parent, sibling, or other significant family member
- YMCA of the Triangle, a nonprofit dedicated to youth development
- North Carolina Troopers Association, supporting law enforcement
- Alzheimer’s Association, providing patient care and support and accelerating research