Working With The Friends Program
Since 2018, Raleigh Divorce Law Firm‘s largest philanthropic endeavor has been supporting the Friends of the Wake County Guardian ad Litem program. The program supports about 700 children in foster or kinship care in The Triangle of the Piedmont region of North Carolina who have been removed from their homes through no fault of their own.
This 501(c)(3) nonprofit was established in 1991 with the mission of changing the lives of abused and neglected children by supporting the work of Guardians ad Litem who volunteer as Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for foster children.
Examples of the initiatives Friends support include:
- The Education Advocacy Project, which provides private tutoring services
- A Chance to Smile, a program made possible through a community partnership with Bovenizer & Baker orthodontics that provides free orthodontic care
- Computers for Kids, providing refurbished laptops and other computer equipment
- Backpacks for Kids, providing backpacks and school supplies
- Guardian Angel Tree, providing Christmas gifts to children in foster and kinship care
- Graduation Angels, providing gift baskets and household items to help youth aging out of the system have a successful start in the next phase of life
- Summer Camp Grants, allowing kids to attend camps that help them cope with their life situations
Firm owner Heather Forshey has served as a Board Member for the nonprofit since 2001 and is currently serving as President. Raleigh Divorce Law Firm has supported the nonprofit directly by sponsoring several fundraising events, including the 2018 Inaugural Light the Way Gala, the 2019 Light the Way Gala featuring NY Times best-selling author Ashley Rhodes Courter as keynote speaker, the 2020 charity golf tournament at Brier Creek Country Club, and the 2021 Fiesta for Foster Care held at MacGregor Downs Country Club.
In The News
- Raleigh Divorce Law Firm sponsors the Light the Way Gala Fiesta for Foster Care in 2021.
- Friends of Wake Guardian GLA Golf Classic raises $25,000 in 2020. Raleigh Divorce Law Firm was the lead sponsor of the event.
Past Event Photos
2nd Annual Friends of Wake County Guardian ad Litem Golf Classic – Thanks to all that helped make this event another great success!
3rd Annual Friends of Wake Light the Way Gala – Thanks for all your support!
Thanks to all that helped make this year’s Wake Guardian ad Litem Golf Classic a success!
Past Gala Information
- 2019 2nd Annual “Light the Way” Gala Press Release
- 2019 2nd Annual “Light the Way” Gala Flyer
- 2018 Inaugural “Light the Way” Gala Press Release
At Raleigh Divorce Law Firm, we feel strongly about promoting the welfare of others in our community. You may also contact us online or call 919-256-3970 for more information or to get involved in this fabulous organization.