Raleigh Divorce Law Firm
Get help resolving family law issues now. Call for a consultation:

PLEASE NOTE: Our office is open for business as usual but in these unprecedented times, the team at Raleigh Divorce Law Firm is taking proactive steps to protect our team, clients and colleagues as well as do our part to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We have taken measures to limit the number of people physically in the office and have been working with clients to handle meetings by phone and utilize other technological methods to communicate when necessary. Our office location does not share space with any other businesses so there is a limited amount of traffic in and out of the office. We sanitize our conference rooms after each use so they are clean and ready for the next client.

There are currently courthouse policies state-wide that involve the postponing of trial dates within the next thirty days and we are working diligently to make sure our existing clients are notified about this and to reschedule any affected court dates. We continue to remain committed to providing quality legal services. Our phone and computer systems have the ability to operate remotely, should that become necessary at any point in the future. Additionally, we utilize a secure network and have an IT team dedicated to protecting our client’s privacy and security while allowing our attorneys, paralegals, and staff the opportunity to work from home if needed.

If you are a current client of the firm or a prospective client, please be assured that we continue to have the ability to effectively represent you. Please feel free to call or email us anytime, and we will continue to be available to serve your needs.

Committed but unmarried? 3 parenting decisions you should discuss with your significant other

Mothers and fathers do not need to be married to each other to be loving and capable parents. It is also becoming increasingly common for unmarried couples to have and raise children. According to Pew Research Center statistics, about 33 percent of children in the U.S. are raised by unmarried parents.

However, whether you are a single parent sharing custody of your child or you are in a committed relationship but not married, there are some decisions you will need to make that married parents typically do not have to make. These decisions protect your child and your rights as a parent, so it is wise to make them sooner, rather than later.

  1. What names are on the birth certificates? Unmarried parents will need to be especially deliberate regarding the names on a child's birth certificate. If you are sure about parentage, both parents' names should appear. If you are unsure, consider a paternity test or voluntary acknowledgement of paternity. You should also think about your child's name and which parent's last name they will have.
  2. Do you have plans for adoption in the future? If one of you is not the biological parent of the child, it can be crucial to discuss any plans for adoption that you might have. Second-parent adoptions are usually easier when parents are married, so if you are unmarried, prepare for some legal challenges if you wish to adopt your partner's child.
  3. What will you do if you break up? Break ups can be just as difficult for unmarried parents as a divorce is for married parents. They can be especially painful if a person does not have legal parental rights. In these situations, breaking up typically means that the non-parent has no parental rights or obligations. As such, you can discuss putting together a parenting agreement that helps you protect your roles and responsibilities.

Discussing these decisions as early as possible can help you avoid costly -- and often contentious -- battles over matters like paternity, child support and child custody if you break up. Should you have questions or concerns about legal issues and procedures, you can consult an attorney to help you understand the system and protect your family.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Consult

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

8341 Bandford Way, Suite 1
Raleigh, NC 27615

Phone: 919-256-3970
Fax: 919-256-3971
Raleigh Law Office Map