Raleigh Divorce Law Firm
Get help resolving family law issues now. Call for a consultation:

PLEASE NOTE: Our office is open for business as usual but in these unprecedented times, the team at Raleigh Divorce Law Firm is taking proactive steps to protect our team, clients and colleagues as well as do our part to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We have taken measures to limit the number of people physically in the office and have been working with clients to handle meetings by phone and utilize other technological methods to communicate when necessary. Our office location does not share space with any other businesses so there is a limited amount of traffic in and out of the office. We sanitize our conference rooms after each use so they are clean and ready for the next client.

There are currently courthouse policies state-wide that involve the postponing of trial dates within the next thirty days and we are working diligently to make sure our existing clients are notified about this and to reschedule any affected court dates. We continue to remain committed to providing quality legal services. Our phone and computer systems have the ability to operate remotely, should that become necessary at any point in the future. Additionally, we utilize a secure network and have an IT team dedicated to protecting our client’s privacy and security while allowing our attorneys, paralegals, and staff the opportunity to work from home if needed.

If you are a current client of the firm or a prospective client, please be assured that we continue to have the ability to effectively represent you. Please feel free to call or email us anytime, and we will continue to be available to serve your needs.

How can I modify my child support agreement?

If you have children with your ex-spouse, it is likely that one of you is paying the other child support to help provide for the children after the break-up. Typically, child support is awarded to the party who has physical custody of the child. But, what happens if you have an agreement in place and you need to change it? In certain cases, the courts will allow you to modify your child support agreement to lower or increase the payments owed. Procedures for modification are different and depend on whether your child support amount is established in a contract Separation Agreement or in a court order.

In order to file for a modification of a court ordered child support amount, you need to determine whether your reasons for modifying the agreement would be considered a substantial change in circumstances, according to North Carolina law. In general, any major life events, such as being diagnosed with a serious medical illness that impacts your ability to work, losing a job through no fault of your own, or significant changes in health insurance coverage costs or child care costs for the children could be considered substantial enough to warrant a modification. Make sure to document the changes you are going through to give the courts the full picture of your situation.

Once you have done your research and collected evidence, you will need to file for a modification as soon as possible, particularly if you are the party who cannot afford your current payments. Waiting too long will keep you on the hook for past payments, even if you file for bankruptcy. You should always continue to make your payments or some amount of a payment, even if you are unable to pay them fully, to show the court that you are making an effort and truly require a change in the payment amount.

Ideally, you will work out a new agreement with your ex-spouse, but that is not always a realistic option. You may want to go through a mediation to help resolve your issues before going in front of a judge. An experienced family law attorney can help guide you through this process and help you file the appropriate paperwork depending on your situation.

Source: FindLaw, "Child Support Modification Tips," accessed on July 2, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Consult

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

8341 Bandford Way, Suite 1
Raleigh, NC 27615

Phone: 919-256-3970
Fax: 919-256-3971
Raleigh Law Office Map